The Story of Broadmoor
Composed by our church historian, Eddy Smith
When the Louisiana Annual Conference met in November 1939, Broadmoor Methodist Church became a member of the Louisiana Conference with 107 charter members. On September 17, 1939, the first service of the Broadmoor Methodist Church was held in the Music Hall at Centenary College, and continued there for the next six years with approximate membership of 440.
In February of 1940 the triangular lot at the comer of Albany Avenue and Youree Drive was purchased for $3,800. Opening services in the new church building were held on October 7, 1945. Ground was broken for construction of the sanctuary in September of 1950. The first service was held in January 1952. Church membership was 1,500.
In 1953 the Wicks pipe organ in the sanctuary was donated and in August, 1955 ground was broken for the three-story educational facility. A year later the church instituted the practice of two Sunday morning worship services. The educational building was dedicated in October.
In the mid-1960s five lots on Albany Avenue were purchased and converted into a paved parking lot to provide necessary off the street parking. In 1970 Anderson Hall was completed as the Youth Activities Building with a multi-use gymnasium and kitchen/dining area. In 1973 the John F. Kilpatrick Memorial Chapel was dedicated in memory of Rev. John F. Kilpatrick who died suddenly the year earlier.
On Christmas Sunday, 1976, a Time Capsule was buried on the church property at the corner of Youree Drive and Albany Avenue to preserve records and information concerning Broadmoor United Methodist Church and community.
The 1980s saw the institution of Broadmoor Buddies, the expansion of parking areas, the installation of television broadcasting facilities, and a new church office building and nursery wing. The sanctuary was renovated and included stained glass windows were designed by Frederick W. Cole as well as an enlarged and rebuilt pipe organ.
The ‘80s came to a close with the celebration of the 50th Anniversary of BUMC and the adoption of a sister church in Ekaterinburg, Russia.
Broadmoor kicked off the ‘90s by being named Shreveport District Church of the Year for 1992. Other events of significance included the renaming and renovation of the George Pearce Activities Hall and the R. Leonard Cooke Education Building. New choir robes and stoles were purchased, as well as a 29-passenger bus. Also, Broadmoor joined the information super highway with the launch of its website.
The genesis of The River was seen in 2000 with "The Gathering" a praise and worship service with a "come as you are" dress code for a time of new music praising God, prayer concerns, and other traditional aspects of worship. "The Gathering" later changed to the "Praise and Worship Service" and moved to Sunday mornings. In 2003 the “Praise and Worship Service” became “The River” contemporary worship service at 11:00 a.m. in Pearce Hall. The River now meets in Anderson Gym.
The first decade of the twenty-first century also saw the start of such programs as the Souper Saturday ministry, Kids Hope USA, the Neighborhood Block Party, and valet parking for those in need of assistance.
Dr. George Pearce, Jr. 1939 - 1943
Dr. Leonard Cooke 1943 - 1953
Dr. George W. Harbuck 1953 - 1959
Dr. James T. Harris 1959 - 1964
Rev. Robert B. Crichlow, Sr. 1964 - 1970
Rev. John F. Kilpatrick 1970 - 1972
Dr. Jack Cooke 1972 – 1977
Dr. Ed Thomas 1978 - 1982
Dr. Warren Blakeman 1982 - 1988
Dr. W. Odell Simmons 1988 - 1989
Dr. Dwight Ramsey 1989 - 1992
Rev. William D. Peeples 1992 - 1999
Rev. Steven M. Spurlock 1999 – 2005
Rev. Kenneth W. Irby 2005 - 2014
Dr. Greg Davis 2014-Present